Renault revealed its new executive saloon for the European market... When you look at it, there's no reason for Renault to stay in Europe !
The evocatively named Talisman ticks all the boxes that D-segment customers have come to appreciate, while taking wellbeing and driving enjoyment to a new level.
The Renault Talisman features a unique combination of:
- Assertive styling: sleek, elegant lines.
- A warm, spacious cabin: ample room for all occupants and front seats among the very best in the Talisman's class, plus an impressively big boot (608dm3 VDA).
- Comfort-enhancing innovations: a seven-inch digital instrument display under the dashboard cowling, R-Link2 with 8.7-inch screen, colour head-up display technology, BOSE® Surround Sound and hands-free parking.
- Innovations for intense enjoyment: Multi-Sense technology to match the mood of the driver. The Talisman is the only D-segment saloon car to combine 4Control® four-wheel steering with active damping, allowing it to deliver unique road manners, plus safe, dynamic, agile handling, and outstanding ride comfort.
All these innovations combine to make the Talisman an executive saloon that will appeal not only thanks to its styling but also through a pleasurable experience for both drivers and passengers alike.
The Talisman is built to the very highest quality standards and meticulous attention has been paid to every detail, including, notably, the depth and lustre of its paint.
Low running costs, plus low fuel consumption and CO2 emissions also figure prominently amongst the Talisman's core strengths.
The Renault Talisman, together with the Estate version - which features the same qualities as the saloon - is poised to play an active part in the renewal and upgrading of Renault's high-end range. Both vehicles will be manufactured at the firm's Douai plant in France.
Following its unveil to the media on July 6, 2015, the Renault Talisman - along with the Estate version - will be presented at this year's Frankfurt Motor Show, which opens its gates to the public on September 17. The Talisman will be available for sale in Europe at the end of 2015.
A name that embodies the strengths of Renault's saloon
Renault selects names for its models that symbolise their design and personality across all markets where they are sold.
True to this tradition, the Talisman has been given a charismatic name that conjures up notions of both protection and power. At the same time, Talisman is an easy word to pronounce and is understood the world over.
This three-syllable name rolls easily and naturally off the tongue, yet it asserts the model's powerful personality and the energy it radiates. The combination of the model's strong, racy lines and innovative technologies express protection and safety.
The Talisman delivers intense driving enjoyment grounded in a genuinely sensorial experience.
Saloon car essentials
For the Talisman, Renault designers opted for a three-box body style. The saloon layout - with a distinct boot - picks up on the universally accepted design practice for this type of car, whilst simultaneously blending Renault's warm and friendly DNA into the mix.
To reinterpret the rulebook, Renault's designers went back to basics to establish the ideal proportions and perfect balance between the different volumes. An overall length of 4.85 metres and a width of 1.87 metres endows the Talisman with a generous footprint that is beneficial to interior space and underscores the distinguished apperance expected of a car of this stature.
Renault's designers and engineers worked closely together to keep the roof height to just 1.46 metres and to control ground clearance. They also achieved the ideal one-third / two-thirds ratio between the glazed areas and body panels, plus a 2.81 metres long wheelbase. The long bonnet adds dynamism to the Talisman's profile, and the large diameter wheels (up to 19-inches) are a snug fit within their sculpted arches.
The Talisman is powerful and inspires confidence from the front with its distinctive chrome grille featuring the brand's upright diamond logo. Renault's new visual signature continues through the Talisman's C-shaped daytime running lights, which extend right down to the bumper. Depending on the version, the Talisman can be equipped with 100% 'pure vision' LED headlights.
The side profile is enhanced by the dynamic shape of the third side window, evoking the world of luxury limousines and the visual promise of generous space inside. The use of chrome underscores the elegance of the Talisman's silhouette, with a strip running the perimeter of the side windows and another on the moulding that straddles the front wing and door. This arrow-shaped feature taps into the design language of sporting cars to suggest performance and aerodynamic efficiency.
The low, broad-shouldered rear incorporates distinctive tail light clusters that extend inwards towards the centreline of the boot. Their elongated shape underscores the car's grounded stance while drawing attention to the Renault logo. 3D-effect lighting provides the Talisman with a powerful visual signature. These lights are always switched on - even during the daytime - to further reinforce their visual impact.
Elegant colours and wheels
The Renault Talisman offers a choice of ten body colours:
- Nine metallic finishes: Pearlescent White, Dune Beige, Cosmos Blue, Vison Brown, Cassiopée Grey, Platine Grey, Etoilé Black, Carmin Red, Améthyste Black (Initiale Paris versions).
- One non-metallic finish: Glacier White.
All paint options feature a high-durability lacquer coat providing added lustre and a higher level of resistance.
Five alloy wheel designs (depending on the market): 16-inch Sequence wheels, 17- inch Bayadere wheels, 18-inch Erbé Grey diamond-effect Duetto wheels, 19-inch Erbé Grey diamond-effect Alizarine wheels and 19-inch black Initiale Paris diamondeffect wheels.
An interior that blends warmth, clean lines and quality
Reinterpreting classical design cues to reflect the themes of the exterior styling, Renault's designers conceived an interior that is welcoming and high in quality.
Visually, the cabin is divided into three horizontal planes which serve to structure the space within the vehicle.
The areas closest to the occupants feature an inviting, soft-to-the-touch trim. Elements that are further away are deliberately treated in a 'cooler' manner in terms of colours and materials. This contrast contributes to the impression of space. Lastly, the combination of particular colours and a variety of different materials creates different interior ambiences.
Painstaking attention and imaginative solutions were applied to the Talisman's ergonomics and design, even down to the padding and trim of its interior components.
On-board refinement: a roomy interior, welcoming seats and supreme comfort
The Talisman has many strengths that support its bid to distil a unique impression of comfort and wellbeing thanks to its generously dimensioned, welcoming interior.
The Talisman stands out among the best cars in its class in terms of cabin space and all-round stowage capacity
The Talisman was carefully thought through to ensure the wellbeing of the driver and occupants alike and its cabin is among the roomiest in its class, notably in three areas:
- Front and rear headroom: the height from the seat cushion to the roof is 902mm at the front and 855mm at the rear.
- Front elbow room.
- Rear knee room: 262mm - amongst the very best in the Talisman's segment.
The wide centre console contributes further to this impression of space and width by positioning the front occupants at an appreciable distance from each other. The console itself is pleasant to the touch and carefully finished.
With more than 25 litres of stowage space around the cabin, the Talisman figures among the very best in its class in this respect, including:
- Generous glove box: 8 litres,
- Door bins: 4.6 litres at the front (accommodates a 1½-litre bottle) and two litres at the back,
- Practical cup holders,
- Judicious stowage space beneath the central armrest with a chilled compartment (versions equipped with EDC transmission) capable of holding a half-litre bottle or a 33cl can,
- A bespoke tray for the front passenger to stash their smartphone or keys.
Meanwhile, the boot capacity of 608dm3 (VDA) is one of the segment's biggest, making it ideal for family use… and more, since it can accommodate up to four golf bags.
A personal welcome and comfort
When the key card holder approaches, the Daytime Running Lights, rear lights and the interior roof light come on, while the door mirrors deploy and down lights illuminate the area around the door. When the driver opens the door, he or she is welcomed by an audible and visual animation on the display. Meanwhile, the seat automatically slides back 50mm (versions with electric seats) to facilitate ingress. Once the driver is seated, it returns to its original position.
In addition to this personal welcome, the Talisman's wide front seats, designed with airline business class seats in mind, combine two important new features:
- In a world first, the front seat backs incorporate Cover Carving Technology which takes the form of a semi-rigid, resistant, flexible and lightweight shell. This ingenious Renault innovation provides designers with additional freedom, adds to the impression of quality, frees up space (extra 3cm knee room at the rear) and weighs 1kg less than a conventional plastic seat back shell.
- Integrated ventilation for greater comfort in hot weather.
Furthermore, Talisman's front seats benefit from:
- Generous dimensions and a stylish design,
- Up to 10 possible adjustments (eight electrically, two manually),
- Four-position electric lumbar adjustment (height/ depth),
- Aviation-style six-way adjustable headrests,
- Heated cushions and backs,
- Massage function (adjustable intensity: two programmes/ five sequences),
- Settings memory for up to six individual profiles.
The low seat cushion position ensures a comfortable, dynamic driving experience while freeing up appreciable headroom.
The rear three-person bench seat comes with variable density mousse to pamper rear passengers. The 60/40-split bench has a hatch to enable skis to be carried. The two outer seats are equipped with a rotating headrest, which can be retracted and turned to free up the driver's rearward line of sight.
Five interior ambiences
The Renault Talisman offers a choice of five interior ambiences and trim associated with different equipment levels (ambiences may vary depending on market).
There are three interior trims and five equipment levels:
- LIFE: black dashboard, leather-trimmed steering wheel and black fabric seats inspired by men's tailoring.
- ZEN: same ambience as the Life equipment level but with lighter-coloured trim strips.
- BUSINESS: same ambience as the Zen equipment level but with additional equipment.
- INTENS: combined fabric/ semi leather seats, or optional dark brown or black Riviera leather upholstery and matching dashboard. Chocolate brown top-stitching.
- INITIALE PARIS: black or sand grey dashboard with dark charcoal or silver top-stitching, Nappa full-grain leather upholstery in a graded grey pattern or solid black, and Nappa leather-trimmed steering wheel.
An Initiale Paris signature version of the Talisman
Following in the footsteps of the Clio and the new Espace, the Talisman is the latest model to benefit from the Initiale Paris trim level, which is synonymous with the very best that Renault has to offer in the realms of wellbeing and service.
Exclusive exterior styling features
- Exclusive Améthyste Black metallic paint, in addition to the other available colours,
- Specific 19-inch wheels,
- Specific badging at the front (beneath the Renault logo) and at the rear in place of the Talisman badge.
Painstaking attention paid to interior comfort
- Nappa full-grain leather upholstery in either black or grey gradient,
- Enveloping 'Relax' front headrests,
- Exclusive Nappa leather-trimmed steering wheel,
- Dashboard with top-stitching,
- Heated, massaging front seats with 10-way adjustment (eight of which are electric),
- Laminated side windows for improved acoustic comfort,
- Initiale Paris badging inside on the door sills, steering wheel insert, top of the front seat backs (embossed) and decorative trim on the back of the front headrests,
- Exclusive carpet mats,
- Specific Initiale Paris hands-free card,
- Door mirrors angled downwards when reverse gear is engaged.
Comprehensive, welcoming service
- A dedicated call centre designed to provide constructive, tailored responses to requests for assistance and capable of making appointments within 24 hours for test drives, servicing and assistance with connected services,
- A dedicated area in showrooms,
- A unique range of optional services aimed at simplifying life on board.
A comprehensive, user-friendly multimedia experience
The Talisman comes with three types of multimedia equipment.
The entry level Talisman is equipped with a car radio featuring a 4.2-inch (11cm) display. Depending on the market, this digital radio offers flawless reception and CD quality sound. The signal also carries information in text format, such as a description of what is playing, weather and traffic updates, latest news, etc.
In the case of the intermediate equipment levels, the Talisman comes with the R-Link 2 connected multimedia tablet, with a seven-inch (18cm) landscape format display and Bose Surround Sound.
The high-end equipment level comes with R-Link 2 complete with an 8.7-inch (22cm) portrait format display.
R-Link 2, the Talisman's connected control centre
Along with the functions and ergonomics developed specifically for in-car use, the Renault R-Link 2 connected tablet comes with either a seven-inch landscape format or 8.7-inch portrait display. The latter is a first in the Talisman's class.
- A fully integrated, sensitive capacitive (pinch & zoom) touch screen display,
- Uncluttered, intuitive graphics, carefully designed for in-car use.
- R-Link 2 functions like a personal tablet, and boasts the same tactile qualities: two-finger zoom, page scrolling, drag-and-drop...
- A realistic navigation display (3D representation of buildings with the 8.7-inch version),
- R-Link 2 has been tailored for in-car use, with voice commands (navigation, phone, apps and media), text message display and the reading aloud of e-mails via an app,
- Bluetooth® connectivity allows for hands-free calls and wireless music streaming,
- Numerous connection and charging possibilities are available for all occupants.
- R-Link 2 oversees the vehicle's driving aids as well as all of the standard duties such as the navigation, audio and climate control functions. The touch screen display's features are completed by shortcut buttons, a multi-function rotary control on the centre console and additional steering wheel-mounted controls.
- The most popular and frequently used functions are always within arm's reach, courtesy of a customisable home page based on widgets (icons).
- It is also easy for drivers to find - with just a single click - their pre-selected driving settings and in-car ambience preferences after saving the following preferences into a personalised profile:
- Seating position (including the speed and intensity of massages) and door mirror position,
- Head-up display (height, brightness, attenuation),
- Favourite radio stations,
- Destinations in the navigation system,
- Lighting ambience (colour, intensity, contrast),
- Custom Multi-Sense modes.
Up to six different profiles can be saved, and it is also possible for drivers to make their profile private - a benefit that is particularly appreciated when sharing the wheel with other users.
- Through its R-Link Store, Renault offers a comprehensive catalogue of applications specifically developed for in-car use, including: Coyote® alerts, three Michelin applications (Hotels, Restaurants and Travel), fuel prices and the reading aloud of e-mails.
The Talisman benefits from tailor-engineered BOSE® Surround Sound
The Talisman takes its occupants on a journey to the very heart of a music concert courtesy of its Bose® Surround Sound system. The quality is such that the driver and passengers are completely immersed into an all-encompassing sound experience, hearing and appreciating every note and even every breath as if the artists themselves were on-board.
Bose and Renault pooled their expertise and collaborated with one another from the very earliest stage of the vehicle's development to create a tailor-engineered audio system for the Talisman.
- Surround Sound: an immersive experience; the driver and passengers are enveloped by a rich, perfectly balanced sound, wherever in the vehicle they happen to be sitting.
- Thirteen high-performance loudspeakers, including two subwoofers, generating expansive and enveloping sound quality reminiscent of a 'live' performance.
- Centerpoint® 2 Technology: Bose's exclusive algorithm converts the signal from stereo sources into a multichannel signal to create Surround Sound.
- Bose® digital signal processor: bespoke equalisation, incorporating the Talisman's own acoustic properties so as to flawlessly transmit every nuance of the music.
A comprehensive range of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS)
- To reassure: adaptive cruise control, emergency active braking.
- To alert: lane departure warning, safe distance alert, traffic sign detection with excess speed warning, blind spot alert.
- To assist: reversing camera, automatic dipped and main beam headlights, head-up data display, electronic handbrake, hands-free boot, reversing camera and hands-free parking assist.
The promise of intense driving pleasure courtesy of Multi-Sense technology
Driving enjoyment is one of the key attributes expected of a large family saloon car. Thanks to its low-profile stance, with a centre of gravity and driving position that are close to the road, the Talisman has been honed to deliver real driving pleasure. Taking the spirit that prevailed in the design of the new Espace even further, Renault has employed all of its chassis and engine expertise to equip the Talisman with technological features and innovations that set it apart in its class.
A unique combination of 4Control technology and active damping
Once again, Renault stands out for its innovative flair in mating the 4Control system to electronic damper control in a manner that has never been seen before in a family saloon. This unique combination is responsible for generating driving pleasure, comfort and safety. Around town, the 4Control chassis - a genuine Renault speciality - ensures that the Talisman's size is quickly forgotten by endowing it with extraordinary agility. Out on the open road, the Talisman's cornering stability and safety when evasive action is required place Renault's new saloon in a class of its own.
Personalised driving experience thanks to Multi-Sense technology
Like the new Espace, the Talisman is equipped with Multi-Sense technology. Its saloon car architecture enables it to extract even more of the benefits of this Renault innovation which make a real difference when it comes to driving enjoyment. Multi-Sense controls and co-ordinates the various technologies found in the Talisman to create an immersive driving experience. It is responsible for operating the 4Control system, active damping, steering, engine and EDC transmission. It also covers the instruments, engine sound and ambient lighting.
Thanks to this ingenious system, the Talisman provides access to its occupants' desired mood in the form of four pre-programmed settings: Comfort, Sport, Eco and Neutral, plus a fully configurable Perso mode. It is as if the driver is benefiting from several cars all rolled into one.
Each of these very distinct settings creates and co-ordinates a specific driving emotion by adjusting:
- The engine response,
- The EDC transmission's gearshift calibration,
- The degree of effort required to turn the steering wheel,
- The active damping settings,
- The configuration of the 4Control system.
At the same time, the in-car ambience is harmonised by adapting:
- The colour of the ambient lighting to the required mood (green, blue, sepia, red or purple),
- The presentation and colour of the information displayed by the instruments,
- The engine sound,
- The driver's massaging seat, activated in Comfort mode,
- The performance of the climate control system in Eco mode.
These modes and different settings are operated:
- By R-Link 2, thanks to its carefully-designed and clearly-presented menus that offer intuitive access to all the benefits of Renault's Multi-Sense system
- By the multi-function rotary switch on the centre console
- By the 'shortcut' button
On the road, the Talisman innovates and promises to shake up the family saloon car class with its driving sensations and entirely customisable in-car experience.
The Talisman is equipped with an innovation that provides it with a dual personality: a 'shortcut' button which enables the driver to switch in just two clicks from Comfort to Sport mode and vice-versa. The razor-sharp Sport setting offers enhanced driving spirit and dynamism, while the Comfort option eradicates the stresses of longer journeys. Drivers can easily access their two favoured settings and switch from one to the other without having to risk taking their eyes off the road.
Thanks to Renault's Multi-Sense technology, the Talisman gives drivers the impression of benefitting from several cars all rolled into one.
Managed weight and efficient powertrains
The Talisman is powered by efficient, high-performance small-displacement engines. The Talisman's comprehensive range of engine options includes the Energy TCe 200 petrol unit and the Energy dCi 160 and Energy dCi 130 diesels that can also be specified for the new Espace. What's more, these engines perform even better in the Talisman, which is some 200kg lighter than Renault's large crossover, while the new saloon's Cd is a low 0.27.
All of the Talisman's engines benefit from Renault's knowledge and expertise as an engine manufacturer, honed through the brand's participation in motorsport and Formula 1 in particular.
Boasting latest-generation technologies such as direct petrol injection and steel pistons, the Talisman's engines offer both first-rate driving enjoyment and low fuel consumption. These downsized powerplants all bear the 'Energy' label through the fact that they incorporate either one or two turbochargers, Stop&Start technology and energy recovery under braking.
The two petrol units and three diesel powerplants all comply with Euro6 emissions legislation and cover all the needs of European customers.
Two petrol engines
The Energy TCe 150 and Energy TCe 200 units will be exclusively mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch EDC automatic transmission.
Three diesel engines
The Energy dCi 110 unit can be mated to either a six-speed manual gearbox or to a six-speed dual-clutch EDC automatic transmission.
The Energy dCi 130 unit will similarly be available with either a six-speed manual gearbox or a six-speed dual-clutch EDC transmission.
As in the new Espace, the Energy dCi 160 unit - equipped with twin turbos - will be exclusively mated to a six-speed dual-clutch EDC gearbox.
All of the Talisman's diesel engines will be fitted with NOx Traps and a particulate filter. Their LNT (Lean NOx Trap) technology offers the advantage of being maintenance-free.
Driving pleasure, from just 95g of CO2 per km
Renault is tirelessly working to improve the efficiency of its petrol and diesel engines by consistently enhancing their performance and driving characteristics while at the same time reducing their fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. This ongoing research and continuous quest for progress endows Renault's conventional powertrains with a level of efficiency that it would have been difficult to imagine only a few years ago.
The 110hp Energy dCi unit offers an astonishing driving experience under the bonnet of the Talisman. It emits just 95g/km of CO2, placing it amongst the most efficient vehicles in its segment. This performance is sufficient to qualify it for the latest ECO2 signature. From June 30, Renault's ECO2 label has been applied to the most economical engine in each model range. This evolution also underlines the favourable positioning of the brand's ECO2 versions in relation to their direct rivals.
Renault continues its range upgrade offensive
Like the new Espace, the Talisman is a concentrate of fundamentals, to which Renault has added sensuous styling, plus a carefully-appointed, comfortable and roomy interior. Featuring high-tech innovations (4Control chassis, active damping, Multi-Sense technology, R-Link2, Bose Surround Sound, etc.), the new Talisman is designed to enhance travelling comfort and pleasure for the driver and passengers alike. But Renault's best must also be affordable, so the Talisman has been engineered to be among the most competitive models in its class with regard to ownership and running costs.
Quality on every front
The designers, engineers and staff entrusted with the production of the Talisman have paid meticulous care to achieving the highest level of quality in every domain:
- During the design phase: the Talisman uses the CMF architecture, which benefits from a modular design and the use of proven, standardised components.
- During testing: In addition to its normal programme of sign-off tests, Renault also pushed the cosmetic and on-road durability of the Talisman through their paces in a range of other checks. These uncompromising round-the-clock tests reproduced the most stringent treatment to which the car might be exposed in the course of its working life and are equivalent to several years of heavy duty use. They are run in conjunction to road tests conducted in extreme traffic conditions and climates, on existing roads and at Renault-Nissan Alliance test tracks.
- During production: the Talisman is made at Renault's Douai plant which has been transformed and modernised, with significant investment in human and material resources. This factory now makes high-end Renault models and is targeting the best quality standards.
- During launch: when it comes to the relationship it enjoys with its customers, Renault is targeting genuine excellence at all the decisive moments of their journey, from the brand's website and bespoke MyRenault smartphone options, to the service provided at dealerships (new Renault Store showroom concept - 1,300 already operational worldwide) and all other touch points.
Focus on the paint finish quality of Talisman: a process designed to appeal
A car's finish is a key parameter when it comes to how customers perceive exterior quality. From the bare metal stage to the final lustre, achieving an impeccable result is a process that can be divided into four steps.
'Bathing' and 'Peeling'
Assembled bodies are cleaned and degreased by spraying and dipping. Cataphoretic anticorrosion protection is applied by electroplating.
The Talisman is then made watertight thanks to the application of sealants. A bitumen coating is also sprayed onto parts of the body where sound is likely to resonate to optimise soundproofing. Under the body, rebound capable plastic stone chip protection is applied. Visible weld seams are covered with finishing filler and panel centring holes are sealed off. Finally, liquid wax heated to 80°C is injected into the underbody hollow sections to permit a 12-year anticorrosion warranty.
'An even complexion'
A basecoat ensures that the paint is applied efficiently. Its covering capacity allows irregularities in the body surface to be erased and any orange peel effect to be avoided. Three shades of undercoat are available (white, light or dark) depending on the final paint colour to be applied. This ensures that the colour is uniform in the case of a stone chip. After the sealants and basecoat have been applied, the next stage is the paint oven.
The Talisman then passes into another shop where it is cleaned with emu bird feathers. Emu feathers are comprised of microfibers that are an incomparable means to remove dust from the body's surface. Two top coats are applied using the rotary bell process which has been introduced for the production of high-end models at the Douai plant. Automated turbines are equipped with bowl-shaped receptacles that are filled with the exact amount of paint required for a single layer. They rotate at 55,000rpm to reduce the paint into very small droplets which are ionized by an electrical charge of 90,000 Volts and subsequently sprayed onto the car which is standing on anodes. In this way, the paint is electrostatically sprayed with no loss. Metallic and pearlescent finishes are obtained by the addition of mica, aluminium or nacre to the paint. A high-durability lacquer is then applied to ensure a high-resistance gloss finish with UV- and scratch-resistant properties.
A new application for the Common Module Family (CMF) architecture
The Common Module Family (CMF) project is founded on the principle of using a shared architecture for several Alliance vehicle families, covering several segments of the range. The key is the use of big modules which each make up a different part of the vehicle: front and rear sub-frames, cockpit, engine compartment, electric architecture and electronics. Two or three versions of these modules are available but they all have the same standard component architecture. They can consequently be combined to produce a saloon car, an SUV or a sporting model, depending on the need.
The CMF architectures and big modules will allow the Alliance to benefit fully from the economies of scale that all manufacturers are seeking to achieve.
The Talisman shares its big modules with the new Espace and the advantages are enhanced quality and reliability, plus being able to enhance the specification with attributes the customer will appreciate - made possible by the modules' reduced production costs.
A Renault Sport Talisman will be produced. It will offer 300 hp.