After creating the first car, the French invented the Hybrid Air technology !
To cope with the challenge of creating an environment-friendly vehicle, PSA Peugeot Citroën is developing an all-new technology combining Gasoline internal combustion engine and compressed air storage. "Hybrid Air" is a key step in the path toward fuel consumption of 118 MPG (2 l/100 km). The major innovation lies in the way the powertrain adapts to driving styles, adjusting independently to one of three modes: Air, Gasoline, Combined.
Journalists really liked this new technology.
Test drive by a French reporter (in French)
What is it exactly?
- A new type of full hybrid powertrain that uses petrol and compressed air:
- An innovative combination of tried and tested technologies: a petrol engine, a unit to store energy in the form of compressed air, a hydraulic motor-pump assembly and an automatic transmission working with an epicyclic gear train.
- The smart control system adapts the operating mode to the driver's commands and optimises energy efficiency in three different modes: ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicle), petrol internal combustion and combined.
- An offer that fits closely with the Hybrid4 electric hybrid for more powerful vehicles in segments C and D
- A more competitive total cost of ownership (residual value, cost in use)
- A worldwide response to the need for energy-efficient vehicles. A technology that is suited to any climate and driving conditions and to any after-sales service network
What are the benefits for users?
- 69g CO2/km homologated performance, i.e. 81 MPG (2.9 l/100 km) (internal combustion, manual gearbox, benchmark of 104g CO2/km) for a conventional body style, such as the Citroën C3 or Peugeot 208, without any specific adaptations
- Savings of 45% in city driving, offering a 90% increase in range in comparison with conventional engines
A comfortable and pleasant drive
- 60% to 80% in ZEV mode in city driving, depending on the traffic
- An automatic transmission that offers a top-quality, smooth and pleasant drive
- Vehicle space maintained (boot, cabin, modular design)
- Reliable and robust: an essentially mechanical system, for easier and more economical maintenance
- Small environmental footprint. Easily recyclable materials
A technology for all customers
- Global. Can be industrialised on numerous markets
- Applicable to every passenger car and LCV segments, and intended for the B (82 bhp internal combustion engines), C (110 bhp internal combustion engines) and LCV segments
Patents & Partners
- 80 patents filed by PSA Peugeot Citroën
- Technology developed in partnership with the French State
- Strategic partners in this technology: Bosch and Faurecia
Source : PSA Peugeot Citroën